I mentioned in my previous post that I would create a fresh post to answer some of the questions that you wanted answers for and so here it is.
First, however, I would like to ask all of you a couple questions as I could do with some good advice from fellow crafters.
I've been seriously addicted to making those little or not so little pin cushions you can see in the picture above. I was considering putting them on etsy or having a page where I could sell them. In the beginning I would like all of the money (if I take the option to sell and if anyone is interested) to go to a school for disabled children that I know of. What do you think? Would anyone be interested in them?
Secondly I wonder what you think about the best way to reply to comments on my blog. I've been lucky enough to have some lovely comments on my last few posts and I want to reply to everyone BUT do I reply here on my blog? Do I reply here on my blog to each comment? Do I go over to your blog and comment there because really when I see the lovely things on your blog I want to talk about what you have done and not my last post (most of the time). Do I send an email if you have one? I love to comment on your posts when there is a new one and not only if you've left a comment for me. So what do you think is the best thing to do as blogger has no reply function?
I'd really appreciate your comments on both of my questions.
Now for the Answers to your Questions
- Which yarn did I use for my cushions? I used acrylic for the ones in the pictures above. I have done others in cotton and pure wool and I will post some pictures of these in the near future. I prefer wool and cotton yarn above acrylic if I can get it as the stitches come out more defined and the overall look is better.
- do you crochet the front to the back or sew them together, and how do you do the bits for the buttons, I can't figure it out? I crochet them together but leave an opening for the cushion insert. sometimes I crochet the right sides together but have found that it looks nice if you crochet with the wrong sides together. For the buttons I do a row of something like 8 double crochet then 2 chain, miss out a stitch and then 8 double crochet, 2 chain miss a stitch and so on. (this is done on the side that is opposite where the buttons will be sewn and so the chain parts form the loops for the buttons to go through) If I get more requests I can do a tutorial.
- I have a lot of crocheted fronts but I'm not at all good with a sewingmachine and have no idea of how to put a fabric back on a crocheted front which is exactly what I'd want to do. I read you have that very same 'problem' ;) I keep hoping someone will put an very step by step tutorial of that on their blog... no luck so far, just finished masterpieces without tutorials. Maybe I'd better just crochet backs for the fronts...I have thought a lot about this and I also want to be able to do some cushions with fabric backs. It would be nice partly so you can have a different look and partly because sometimes you want to be much quicker in finishing your cushion and the main front of the cushion is the showcase and you don't need a crochet back. Sometimes of course only a crochet back would do. Sooo I have decided after asking this same question of other people myself many times even before I had a blog and not finding a tutorial anywhere that I WILL find out how to do it properly and then post a step-by-step tutorial. I have a pretty good idea now anyway after attending my sewing class and watching a few sewing videos on youtube ( I will conquer this sewing thing) so watch this space, it may take me a few weeks but I will get there.
- I'd definitely buy something from you at a craft fair. Do you have one in mind? See my questions above. I would consider it if it seems like a good idea. I have to crochet and really can't stop, I am running out of places to store all my bits and bobs and have so many more ideas I haven't even tried yet. There is a craft fair local to me but they won't be back until Spring so we will see how it goes and if I get enough favourable answers then I'll let you know :)
- I've been asked if I will be doing any tutorials. Yes I have two that I want to do for you in February and will be preparing the first one in a week or so.
I would really love to hear what you think about any of the above, favourable or not favourable, I will appreciate every comment
Update: Thank you all so much for your comments. They were all very helpful and I'm so lucky to have you out there. Rachael Xx